[ilds] Andre Aciman: Back to Egypt

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 7 10:30:28 PST 2011

Thanks.  A good essay but note Aciman's change of heart.  He now refers approvingly to Durrell and his Quartet.  He didn't mention LD in Out of Egypt (1994).  Not a beep, although lots of allusions to Proust, Aciman's specialty.  Although I'd like to believe that Egyptian culture has changed and returned to multiculturalism, I doubt this will happen.  Aciman writes ambivalently, and the Alexandria he cherishes is really lost, which may be why he loves Proust.

Bruce