[ilds] Durrell's Heritage

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 7 09:54:19 PST 2011

Rony,

Interesting.  The Durrell-Miller species seems isolated and endangered, if not on the verge of extinction.  Perhaps it has, but I don't recall a serious discussion on the ILDS List as to exactly why Lawrence Durrell's reputation has declined so precipitously since his heyday in the early 1960s.  In the current issue of Deus Loci (2008-2009), Anne Zahlan has an article, a good one, "'Always Friday the Thirteenth':  The Knights Templar, Hersey, and History in Lawrence Durrell's The Avignon Quintet."  Her essay, in part, treats Durrell's postmodernist world, and she uses Brian McHale's Postmodernist Fiction (1987) as a critical source.  McHale has clout.  But no where in his survey of Postmodernism does he cite Lawrence Durrell.  I find this telling and indicative of Durrell's poor standing.  I don't know about today, but when I was taking English courses in the 70s and 80s, Lawrence Durrell was simply not discussed in the department and was not at all taken seriously.  Let's hope this will change, someday.

Bruce