[ilds] Durrell's Heritage

William Apt billyapt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 09:39:52 PST 2011

Rony:

I believe Durrell's reputation has fallen over the years, not for who he was
or how he managed his life, but, rather, because his work requires
extraordinary concentration and attention.  Very few intelligent, educated
people these days - at least here in the US - read demanding books.
(Another demanding writer who has fallen into obscurity for the same reason
is the American author, Katherine Anne Porter.  And what about Patrick Leigh
Fermor?)  Most Americans' idea of doing something that
requires extraordinary concentration or attention is preparing for and
running marathons, or participating in triathalons.  But if you really read
Durrell, its the cerebral equivilent of these sorts of events, no?

BILLY

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Rony Alfandary <alfandary at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for this discussion. one of the chapters in my thesis concerns
> this - why has Durrell's reputation fallen over the years and STILL how come
> there is there wonderful group of people gathered here to ponder and
> celebrate his work?
> at one point I thought it had to do with the allegations regarding Sappho.
> but the decline began earlier.
> there is an Israeli scholar, Prof Lipskaer , who has written a lovely book
> regarding minor literature. not in the Deleuze-Guattarie sense but rather in
> terms of seeing the literature scene as an ecological system whereby many
> different authors (species) co-exist and support one another.
> I think that such a view manages to rise above a competitive view of the
> question.
> Rony

WILLIAM APT
Attorney at Law