[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 47, Issue 6_Durrell's legacy

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 22:53:31 PST 2011

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 09:10:14 -0800
From: James Gifford <james.d.gifford at gmail.com>

"He was a significant counter-voice to the Angry Young Men....In many
respects, Durrell kept the British vein of experimental writing alive when
the age of the kitchen sink novel was in its ascendancy with gritty
realism."
James,

Yes indeed. The "kitchen sink" view (roughly 1950s to 1970s??) was also
evident in British films. The Beat Generation writing in America was
different.

Thanks for the list of books and papers you have provided on Durrell's
possible legacy.

I have only just got bought Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". The first
few pages read very much like a latter day version Joyce's 'Ulysses' which I
could never read for very long but have recently purchased as part of my
permanent stock. A long way to go still before I can really comment on
Pynchon.

Have been trying to get John Fowles' "The Magus".

Sumantra