[ilds] Durrell's Heritage

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 13:09:57 PST 2011

Grove and James,

Two good responses, thorough and informative.  I don't pay much attention to legacy as quotability, for Durrell's gnomic style, his great delight in aphorisms, seems designed, in part, to assure a measure of literary immortality.  I get a little tired of seeing, "Music was invented to confirm human loneliness" (Clea, Penguin 65), quoted as an example of LD's profundity — probably because I don't understand what it means, when it stands alone.  (But maybe, like music, Durrell intended it simply to sound good.)  Durrell didn't invent "Postmodernism," nor need he have to be great.  But I don't know how enduring are his postmodernist ideas about multiple selves and unsubstantial reality.  What will endure, I think, are his evocative powers, which are really inimitable and not easily matched or passed down.  Readers look for this elsewhere, as Sumantra does.  Me too.  It's the context that counts, for me anyway.  And when I put the music aphorism back into its original context, Darley talking about Clea and Alexandria, then the somewhat pretentious saying does work, and I marvel at its appropriateness.  So, I don't think Durrell will have many descendants, and George Steiner was probably right to compare it to Wuthering Heights, that other strange and difficult to classify novel.

Bruce