[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 46, Issue 11_Discussions on the ILDS

Sumantra Nag sumantranag at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 00:52:42 PST 2011

"It has come to my notice and the notice of one or two other contributors to
this list that things have gone rather quiet in Durrell land over the last
few weeks, months even, leaving me to ponder whatever happened to the lively
debates and discussions of Durrell and his works?...The general run of
recent postings, few and far between, appear restricted to scholarly minutia
or references to academic journals." (David Green)
------------------------------
I am responding to this post after reading the posts which have come
thereafter on the ILDS.

For a lay reader (like myself) references to other writers of the late
twentieth century and the first decade of this century from could be
interesting when seen from a standpoint of comparison or contrast with
Lawrence Durrell. Forty years after first reading them, I am sufficiently
under the spell of the novels of The Alexandria Quartet to seek some of
their qualities in other novelists.

Reading John Banville's "The Shroud" I found a quality of prose and a
creation of atmosphere which engaged me in the way that the novels of the AQ
had done. This, along with an intensity about the tragic condition of the
human beings in the book. In certain scenes of John Berger's novel "G" I
also felt the presence of the "heraldic" quality of atmosphere which often
which stands out in the AQ.

Undoubtedly, there are many other points of intersection between the works
of recent novelists and the novels of the AQ including the evocation of
myth.

Best wishes

Sumantra