[ilds] TSE & BB

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 17:14:35 PST 2011

Grove,

Yes.  The Black Book is definitely a young man's book (i.e., reader as youth), and Graham Greene is absolutely right that "a writer's childhood is his capital."  My young man's book, however, is the Quartet, and I have very little affinity for Durrell's novel about his coming of age, except as a curiosity reflecting his early development.  (In 1960, I couldn't get beyond Lobo "catapulting" his penis [p. 23] and only completed the novel a couple of years ago, with very great difficulty.)  I just finished Roderick Child's essay, "Hollow Responses:  An Exploration of Lawrence Durrell's London" (Deus Loci, NS 11, 2008-2009).  Child is particularly good at showing young Durrell's indebtedness to Eliot's Waste Land, "The Hollow Men," and "Prufrock," especially in the context of London's cold and dreariness as symbol of "the English Death."  Surely the elder maven of English poetry picked up on the influence, along with that direct reference to WL, and all that predisposed him to say such nice things about the young writer.

Bruce