[ilds] TSE & BB

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 3 13:21:32 PST 2011

Charles,

Thanks for contextualizing T. S. Eliot's fulsome remarks on The Black Book as the great "hope" of English fiction.  That's helpful.  Eliot was mentor to the young Durrell, and as such he was being "generous," as you say, to a writer of great promise.  How generous Eliot was is indicated by the fact he doesn't apply his own critical standards, such as the "objective correlative" to Durrell's work.  Green and Gifford have recently explained "the English death," a key theme in BB, but they have done so by providing a context, "literary myth making," which exists outside of the book itself.  Eliot's point about the "objective correlative" is that a literary work has to justify itself in terms of its own conditions.  Shakespeare's Hamlet fails because, in Eliot's mind, Hamlet's emotions are not justified by the conditions of the play, or as he says, "Hamlet (the man) is dominated by an emotion which is inexpressible, because it is in excess of the facts as they appear."  This is exactly my problem with Durrell's Black Book.  The great Angst of the novel doesn't have, for me anyway, an "objective correlative."  It's just too nebulous in the way that the inchoate emotions of youth usually are.  Undoubtedly what appealed to Eliot was Durrell's poetry and a fragmentary narrative which is in some ways similar to his own monumental Waste Land.

Bruce