[ilds] two-fisted what?

Ken Gammage Ken.Gammage at directed.com
Thu Feb 3 09:40:45 PST 2011

There are probably a few people on the list who have read almost everything Durrell wrote, but I would venture that many of us have gaps. I haven’t read Pied Piper or The Black Book yet – but Grove’s praise makes me want to soon.

Parts of Durrell’s oeuvre I have read many times: especially Prospero, The Quartet and the Quintet. It gives me great pleasure to revisit favorite books – like seeing an old friend.

Grove, I wanted to comment on this: “That Shelley was a significant figure is undeniable, but whether he was a great poet is and should be open to debate.” I really don’t think it’s debatable that he was a great poet – what’s more to the point is our personal preference and whether we enjoy reading Shelley or not. I personally do very much, but again, some of his poems I read over and over while others I leave alone.

-- Ken