[ilds] Literary English Death

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 09:33:03 PST 2011

On 02/02/11 7:03 AM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
> but Durrell chooses not to bring in the context
> of his Indian background and the trauma of
> being wrenched from it

I think this is, in part, because he'd already done this quite
explicitly in /Pied Piper of Lovers/.  If you've not already read it,
Bruce, for your manner of reading I think you'd find it fascinating.

> as he later says, he asks his reader to
> "recognize [the book] for what it is: a
> two-fisted attack on  literature by an
> angry young man of the thirties."

In other words, a rebuttal to his predecessors and a 20 year head start
on the Angry Young Men...  Again, we're back to that literary context --
is it coincidental that works like /The Black Book/ and Beckett's
/Murphy/ appear in the same year but were written in the same moment as
Gascoyne's /Opening Day/?  This was the same moment that English
Surrealism "failed" to develop when the High Modernists (Eliot, Joyce,
Woolf) didn't endorse it and the new Generation around Auden didn't take
it up.  Yet, there was a generation doing something with it...  And they
were scattered by the war before they developed it -- I see /The Black
Book/ and the English Death in that moment.

Cheers,