[ilds] Myths and Metaphors

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 1 08:11:53 PST 2011

True, but I don't see much of a difference, except in the emotive force of the language.  So,

1.  Bill's retorts are like jazz-trumpet shots.

2.  Bill's retorts are jazz-trumpet shots.

What's the difference?  You can argue no. 2 is literally not true, but that's nit-picking and ignoring how everyday speech works.  The mind immediately recognizes and accepts the metaphor.  I'd argue that no. 2 is more powerful because the mind has created something new and exciting — grafted together dissimilars.  It's a kind of myth making, creating a world.  Durrell's use of metaphor works in this way.  Read about "a sky of hot nude pearl" and you've entered Durrell's Alexandria.

Bruce