[ilds] lively english

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 31 22:47:41 PST 2011

I lived in Norht America for 4,5 years, and often
> people would say to me "you must come to dinner
> one night", but it was not until a week before I
> left that we were really invited to dinner on
> "Saturday night". I also lived in London for 1,5 years and had a
> wonderful time with the english that I met....
> especially the girls....

Touché marc.  When I was living in England in the late '90s, a business
friend of mine from Australia came to see me in Yorkshire, fresh from
meetings and so on in the USA and he said, tellingly, "I absolutely reek of
calvinism". we repaired immediately to the pub to cure him of this and he
told how he had ordered a bottle of wine with lunch at one 'meeting' and his
north American counterparts assumed a posture of moral shock and
disapproval.

The English are big drinkers and randy souls, always have been - once you
get by their native reserve they can be the robust Saxons of old

Perhaps the English Death is less cultural and more literary than we think.
Larry ranted against the British literary scene in 1930s because he saw it
as mundane, proletarian even. English Death may refer to the death of decent
English Lit is his eyes - Douglas, Wilde others...silver age prose... and
because they did not buy the budding writers style at the time.

Go to the Character of Gideon in 'Marine Venus' for an affectionate study of
the English Character; sometimes crusty, hostile and reserved on the outside
but warm and fuzzy and sentimental on the inside. Durrell often paints very
positive pictures of Englishmen. His fleeing England was probably more about
a sense of personal failure, rejection or lack of exchange rate equity. For
all his love of the Med. Larry spent his life amongst English people but
preferred cheap wine and cigarettes.

David Whitewine