[ilds] the origins of Cunegonde

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:17:35 PST 2011

Bruce notes suggests, rightly, that Charles and I might take up the
plural interpretations of Durrell's word plays, but for the naughty
Cunegonde's three potential origins, he notes:

> I would say that the only definition that
> really counts, as far as LGD is concerned,
> is the last one [the purely prurient]. So,
> I don't see much ambiguity here.

Would Cunegonde be funny without the antithetical nature of her literary
predecessor in Voltaire's /Candide/?  If one possessed such a doll,
naming it "Nancy" wouldn't seem terribly peculiar even though it's open
to the sexual innuendo of a "nancy boy" (or at least no more peculiar
than owning such a thing is already), but if "Reagan" were added as a
surname, it would take on a much broader humour.  I'd say the same for
"Fanny" becoming "Fanny Burney" rather than "Fanny Hill."  But just
plain old "Fanny" is clearly just plain old prurient, and it's a rather
lame joke if the literary predecessor isn't there -- Durrell did make
lame jokes, but most have that added dimension of ambiguity or plurality.

I think Bruce's peculiar interest {winks heavily at audience} in this
rather silly joke in what was perhaps Durrell's most careless (and
final) book would be much more peculiar were it not for Voltaire's
penning of his own Cunegonde...

Cheers,
James