[ilds] dark labyrinth

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 08:13:46 PST 2011

I think that's exactly the sense of the paragraph in the book -- Campion
is upset his art isn't appreciated, hence he strikes out at English
character rather than his own Draught-less drawings...  The sexual
reference follows in the next paragraph.

"Cold air" is certainly the meaning here.  The OED isn't exact in this,
but my sense is that the "draught" spelling would be contemporary for
beer or wind currents but would be archaic for a drawing.  "Draft" is
the only spelling given in my OED for drawings since the 18th century.
The OED notes "the spelling draft n. (q.v.) now established in some
senses" of which drawing seems to be the prime example, as well as
withdrawing funds or compelling.  It's a typical Durrell wordplay
though, generating confusion whenever possible...

Cheers,
James