[ilds] dark labyrinth

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 31 07:55:33 PST 2011

Meta,

I take "Draught" to mean air, i.e., a "current of cold air."  English buildings, particularly houses and flats, are not well designed, so they let in the cold easily.  How does this transfer to English character?  Well, Durrell is being cute, I think, being funny.  In the context of "the English death," however, Durrell may mean that his fellow countrymen are inherently "cold," i.e., emotionally frigid and unresponsive, sexually repressed, probably, unlike the warm-blooded people of the Mediterranean, who express their feelings readily and openly, especially in the sexual sense.  That's my guess.

Bruce