[ilds] The Egyptian Revolution

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 31 07:40:40 PST 2011

I think the Egyptian people want their impoverished lot improved and are tired of being rule by a corrupt oligarchy (the Memlik types).  Doesn't this remind you of the French Revolution?  Whether or not a democracy can provide that in the short term is questionable.  I fear that the Islamists, such as the Muslim Brotherhood, are better organized and better capable of seizing power.  They also have great religious fervor and appeal to a strong religious impulse.  Recall how the Lenin and the Bolsheviks took control.  In the Egyptian situation, the ones who appear incorruptible and beyond reproach may end up ruling.  Robespierre was known as "the Incorruptible."

BR