[ilds] the purse

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 15:11:58 PST 2011

I noted in /Panic Spring/ Durrell's repeated references to William
Dunbar's poem "In Honour of the City of London." Dunbar (1460–c. 1520)
was a Scottish poet who allegedly first used, in print, the words "fuck"
and "cunt" in 1503. Durrell echoes this poem’s "per se" in his own
"Carol on Corfu," first published in 1938 and across his London chapter
in /Panic Spring/.  Of course, there's Chaucer as well. To some degree,
though, I think this is tied to his interest in the language itself
rather than purely pubescent predilections.

I would also suspect that there's a significant difference between
Durrell's use of the terms in the 1930s and 40s from his last years in
the 1980s.  It's also worth noting, like cow vs. beef, that the word has
a good ol'fashioned Anglo-Saxon origin.  None of that French or Latin...
  I do, however, recall a Medieval Lit course in my undergraduate in
which "cunt" and "cunning" or "cony" (bunny) were elided, but that
appears to be an anachronism when I look to the OED -- the latter two
derive from Romance languages and the "bunny" could be a term of
endearment rather than abuse, though by the Elizabethans' time it
appears to have evolved the modern slang connotations and the "conney"
isn't simply a cunning or comely rabbit.

Apart from the prurient, I suspect part of this game for Durrell, at
least prior to the 1980s, was his interest in the shifts in language
itself, in particular his interest in the Elizabethans.  The prurient
was a bonus, I suspect, rather than a virtue in itself -- we can hardly
be surprised to find it in his works, though I doubt the schoolboy
giggle was effective even when he first set pen to paper with such
things.  When he wanted to be direct about it, he was, so I wonder what
else was going on apart from grade school humour.

Then again, perhaps by the time of /Caesar's Vast Ghost/, he was
simplifying or had been simplified...

Cheers,
James