[ilds] when did Durrell begin St Joseph's?

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 15:05:24 PST 2011

I should have added, it was when he was nine.  The parental resentment
is certainly a part of that moment when he describes it in fiction in
/Pied Piper of Lovers/.  As I've argued elsewhere, it's a Father England
/ Mother India division as well.  Notably, both parents die in the novel
too, and the father's death is dreamed of in distinctly Oedipal terms.

Cheers,
James