[ilds] Bowker and MacNiven Biographies

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 10:26:15 PST 2011

Hi Rony,

Bowker had an unfortunate habit of relying on Durrell's fiction for
autobiographical information -- this is particularly true of his Indian
childhood and /Pied Piper of Lovers/.  If you're interested in Durrell's
more candid presentation of mother and father figures, /Pied Piper of
Lovers/ is fiction, but he shows more there than in any other novel.

For what it's worth, MacNiven (and I fear any biographer) does draw on
Durrell's fiction for biographical information as well, just not as
much.  That creates problems, though I'm not sure how any Durrell
biographer could avoid it.

Best,
James