[ilds] Cunégonde

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 30 08:30:20 PST 2011

Marc's explanation is both erudite and relevant, but I suspect what appealed to LGD's sense of humor was Richard Pine's definition of "the cunt on which the
sexual business of the world hinged."  Durrell admired Rabelais, often talked about him (which we haven't), and this name is just the sort of grotesque nonsense the great Frenchman would have come up with.  Cunégonde, Durrell's Latex doll-woman, keeping his narrator comfort in his old age, is outrageously ridiculous — and so is her name.

Bruce

>>> James