[ilds] the purse

Marc Piel marcpiel at interdesign.fr
Sun Jan 30 05:25:12 PST 2011

Can I add a little uncontrived bit?

Cunégonde is a  medieval given name, derived from
the Germanic "kühn"= daring, and "gund"=combat,
and means "one who fears nothing. "
It was fairly common until the thirteenth century
in Germany, Flanders and Poland. But the
unfortunate jokes that it's pronunciation allows,
in France, have quickly shelved it. It would seem
that it has only been used 23 times sine 1900. The
pronounciation suggests: idiocy, not very bright,
candidly stupid, hollow, etc....

"Gonde" is french but "cune" is not!

Marc Piel