[ilds] the purse

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 29 17:31:17 PST 2011

Since this List is in danger of becoming a locker-room full of jock-talk, I shall put on my Dolly Varden hat and speak in the voice of the Wife of Bath, with only casual reference to any bele chose.

1.  Lawrence G. Durrell was a sexist of the highest order.  He was married four times and had innumerable mistresses — all of whom he battered or treated badly.

2.  He was such a wife-beater that even the King of Sexists, Henry Miller, called him on the carpet for behavior that cast disrepute on his own brand of sexism.  Afterwards M. Durrell took revenge by cockolding his best friend.  Typical male chauvinism — showing contempt by doing the contemptible with and on what men think contemptible.  The good feminist Anaïs Nin confirms M. Durrell's early misogyny in her diaries.

3.  It does no good to say that the dirty talk males like to indulge in, joking around about male nether organs and the like, has no bearing on sexism.  It certainly does, because it all stems from the same base urge — to attack women, to dehumanize them, and then to turn them into sexual playthings for their own perverse pleasures.  Look at that rubber woman in that novel about an adulterous wife and then look at the plasticine doll-woman in that Caesar book (so typical that M. Durrell would choose that Roman general who was just another sexist who kept his wife all cooped up while he himself played around with that Egyptian prostitute).  What kind of bele chose are we supposed to imagine they had?  We women are supposed to find all that funny?  What more evidence do you need to condemn the sick mind of that dirty old man?

Mrs. Bath