[ilds] the purse

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 12:09:37 PST 2011

Well, the OED aligns "purse" with male genitals, so I don't think it's
misogynistic, though there's a line of misogyny in Durrell's works (a
line that runs in parallel to other diverse or even contradictory
lines).  As for male infantile behavior, it's certainly a component --
LD's notebooks are full of such jokes (the "tunc" wordplay in /Revolt/,
etc.).   I think there's a fine distinction between recognizing the joke
and making it though...

We do, however, have a relatively low number of contributions from
female listmembers (of whom there are many), so I wonder if a discomfort
exists.  The Woolf and HD lists certainly have a preponderance of female
contributions.  Certainly a large number of the critical articles on
Durrell are written by women, so it seems plausible women are made to
feel less comfortable on the listserv, which I would hope we could
change if it's the case!

Comments?  Suggestions?  On list or off, both are welcome.

Best,
James