[ilds] What has happened to the ilds list

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:29:21 PST 2011

Hi Grove,

Let's consider this an aim for late April/May?  Unless, of course,
there's a chorus from the listserv to get started right away...

I'd agree about the Firm being more than simply a modern institution in
the books -- I suppose my curiosity relates to the potential for LD to
be talking about coercive authority in that 1968 moment (which Don Kacz
has noted before).  Just what *is* the Firm?

I'm in the midst of a long project relating to poetry networks in the
1930s and 40s that differ from the High Modernists and Auden group by
virtue of antiauthoritarian politics (or Herbert Read's politics of the
unpolitical), and Durrell's in there though he's peripheral.  That is
certainly shaping my readerly perspective at the moment {winks eye at
Bruce}, but it seems surprisingly easy to develop that perspective.

Cheers,
James