[ilds] the purse

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 10:27:22 PST 2011

On 29/01/11 8:37 AM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
 > I would swear that it was. So much for memory.
 >
 >> On Jan 29, 2011, at 12:03 AM, Richard Pine wrote:
 >>
 >> Wasn't me! RP
 >>
 >>> On 28/01/11 11:20:13 AM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
 >>> *Pursewarden.*Sometime ago, R. Pine, I believe, pointed out that
 >>> Ludwig's surname was a pun or allusion to the scrotum. Or maybe I
 >>> just have a dirty mind. Bill Godshalk can confirm this

Alas, looking back at the listserv's records, I find that *I* said it:
Fri, 9 Jul 2003 17:08:36 -0400.  AJ French chimed in on this point as
well, and Bruce showed much interest.  My goodness we've been after
those purse strings for a long time!

Still, "purse" was used by Elizabethans in this form, as Bill noted, and
it appears in the OED with this association.  I'm intrigued to note that
the word "purse" occurs repeatedly in relation to the mouth in /Pied
Piper/ and /Panic Spring/ (and no, not just pursing one's lips).  I
wonder if a collocation would turn up interesting patterns in this
regard across Durrell's works over time.

Cheers,