[ilds] Names

Richard Pine rpinecorfu at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 00:03:39 PST 2011

Wasn't me! RP

________________________________
From: Bruce Redwine <bredwine1968 at earthlink.net>
To: Denise Tart & David Green <dtart at bigpond.net.au>; ilds at lists.uvic.ca
Cc: Bruce Redwine <bredwine1968 at earthlink.net>
Sent: Fri, January 28, 2011 11:20:13 PM
Subject: [ilds] Names

Pursewarden.  Sometime ago, R. Pine, I believe, pointed out that Ludwig's
surname was a pun or allusion to the scrotum.  Or maybe I just have a dirty
mind.  Bill Godshalk can confirm this, either way.  The OED, however, cites
"scrotum" as a Renaissance meaning of purse.  Cf. Iago's "Who steals my purse
steals trash," where "purse," given Iago's lewd mind, probably refers to more
than coins.

Mountolive.  New Testament "Mount of Olives," associated with Christ's Passion
and possibly the Garden of Gethsemane?  Not clear how this applies to Sir David,
unless you want to argue that in the Quartet the ambassador has his own Passion
or passions to deal with.  This may be Durrell being whimsical and irreverent.
 Still, a good name.

Bruce

Meta,