[ilds] MacNiven Bio

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 28 16:35:04 PST 2011

James,

I am noting that I have the revised edition, much thumbed. Yes, Bowker is a
sharp writer but writing a biography of any complex 'genius' would be hard
task as I am sure Michael Haag has discovered, especially if you want to go
beyond a chronicle into a analysis of motive, muse, the meaning of self in
relation to the world. Things are bound to slip. That said I enjoy
biographies as much or more sometimes than the subjects own writings.

Have been waiting for old Haag's biog for a while - in fact I'm getting that
'when's it going to be wine o'clock feeling if'n you take my meaning?

David Whitewine

btw, am hoping to get sorted a decent look at Durrell's islomania; form to
be determined.