[ilds] MacNiven Bio

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:01:26 PST 2011

Hi David,

Michael Haag is writing the next biography.  As for Bowker and MacNiven,
it's worth noting that Bowker's biography has changes between the first
and second editions.  Nonetheless, in both he's darker and more
speculative, though he did access some archives (like UVic's) that
MacNiven did not -- his Malcolm Lowry biography is excellent, and it
took him to some of the smaller places that MacNiven didn't reach.

Between the two, I prefer MacNiven's and trust it more, though it's not
without slips here and there as well, which is inevitable in such a work.

Best,
James