[ilds] MacNiven Bio

William Apt billyapt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:04:17 PST 2011

Dear all:

I thought the book outstanding.  How Prof. MacNiven was able to gather and
synthesize so much material, and then put it into such an eloquent narrative
is remarkable.  Moreover, Prof. MacNiven honors his fiduciary obligations
well:  it is a most tactful book.

I had tried reading Bowker's bio but was put off by it. Perhaps because it
was unauthorized, and Bowker was deprived of sources MacNiven had recourse
to, there was way too much speculation-as-explanation for my taste. Can any
one tell me how it essentially differs from MacNiven's book, and whether it
is worthwhile?

Ultimately I find LD truly enigmatic.  I have so many questions about why he
was the way he was that, perhaps, cannot be clearly answered except to say
that he was a genius, and genius is a mystery.

Again, thanks to everyone who was so helpful to me, including Prof.
Godshalk, whom I forgot to thank yesterday.

--
WILLIAM APT
Attorney at Law