[ilds] What has happened to the ilds list

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 28 12:21:09 PST 2011

Meta,

thanks for news about the Villa Cleobolus, sad though it is. I have been able to find Larry's other houses on Google Earth, but not the one in Rhodes. insidently, a Greek friend of mine reckons that Rhodes is the most beautiful island in the world which certainly comes through in the Marine Venus.

To the names in Dark Labyrinth, yes the names imply the characters

Graecen - the graceful and mannered lord.
Campion - Champion, the hero of the piece - the shit stirring artist rebel type
Fearmax - the enigmatic, withdrawn magician (maximum fear)
The Truman's - true, honest ordinary people who achieve a mountain utopia (Durrell's hearkening back to his Indian Himalayan experiences)

etc etc

we recall in 18th century  English Lit characters like Squire Booby (a booby being an ignorant boor) or squire Weston, he from the west country, a land of rowdy, drunken cider drinkers, the lord be good to them.

I also wonder about Quartet characters - Pursewarden for example (money guard) or Mountolive - who was Olive???

David Green
Terra Australis Incognito