[ilds] Revolt of Aphrodite

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 12:10:33 PST 2011

I agree that /Revolt/ is much overlooked, and I see it as remarkably
contemporary today.  As for scoffing at Durrell's "middlebrow" works,
there's been a steady stream of critical work done -- I don't think any
of the academics scoff.  Instead, I think they're often just more
difficult to get (they've been in & out of print and often appeared
first through small presses rather than Faber), and they haven't had the
same spotlight as his major books.

As for filthy lucre, I could see that for /White Eagles/ (though still
an interesting work), but /Cefalu/ first appeared through the Poetry
London imprint, which certainly wouldn't have earned Durrell a great
deal, especially with Tambimuttu at the helm...

Jan Morris had high praise for /Sicilian Carousel/ as well:

Morris, Jan. "Durrell - on a Tourist Bus?" /Encounter/ 49.3 (September
1977): 77-79.

The discussion of art in /Cefalu/ is fascinating as well, at least as a
revelation of Durrell's interests and readings.

Best,
James