[ilds] What has happened to the ilds list

Meta Cerar meta.cerar at guest.arnes.si
Fri Jan 28 02:58:57 PST 2011

Actually there are more >18th century< names in the Dark Labyrinth, like
TRUMAN for example. What an appropriate name for someone who ends up on the
Roof of the World, which I agree is one of the most magnificent chapters in
Durrell's entire opus, as one of the list members wrote recently.

If anyone on the list knows of an article concerning the Cefalu or Dark
Labyrinth  names, I would be greatly interested. I am currently translating
Dark Labyrinth into Slovenian - to be published at the 100th anniversary of
his birth (February 2012) - and would love to include this symbolism into
the preface of the book.

I would also be grateful for any information on reviews or articles on this
particular book, which I greatly enjoy working on although L.D. dismissed it
as a potboiler. I think there was an article in Deus Loci about Otto Rank's
influence on D.L. If anyone happens to be familiar with it, please let me
know if it's worth reading.

BTW, I loved the photos from Bellapais. What a great location for a future
Durrell conference! I followed the Durrell trail throughout the
Meditterranean but haven't been to Cyprus yet. The Villa Cleobolus and the
>Tree of idleness< in the old moslem graveyard in Rhodes are sadly neglected
to my great disappointment.

Looking forward to further commentaries on Dark Labyrinth,

Meta Cerar,

Slovenia

  _____