[ilds] Light Durrell or Durrell Light

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 10:47:42 PST 2011

Reading Aphrodite's Revolt, or periphrasis of same, is a good idea.  Long overdue, for me, anyway.  Think I'll take Grove up on this.  Ken's comment about the Greek island books (which I'd expand to include Sicily and the Tyrrhenian Sea) bears serious consideration.  David Green deserves full credit for turning our eyes to the islands ("no tongue:  all eyes:  be silent").  Undoubtedly, Durrell's "potboilers" were done for "filthy lucre," but I find them most interesting and provocative.  Durrell, for all his protean productivity, was probably one of Isaiah Berlin's "hedgehogs," more of a possessed Dostoevsky than a foxy Tolstoy.  That's to say, he was a man of just a few obsessions (and demons), and these got continually reworked and replayed throughout his oeuvre.  So, I find it instructive to uncover these themes and tropes in his self-acknowledged "minor" works.  E.g., The Dark Labyrinth, White Eagles over Serbia, and Sicilian Carousel.  I sense these are often scoffed at, but I think this view mistaken — highbrow priggishness.  To emphasize what I said before, authors don't always know what they doing, and whether Durrell knew it or not, his potboilers seem to me as revealing (and probably at least as enjoyable) as his "serious" work intended "for all time."

Bruce