[ilds] What has happened to the ilds list

Ilyas Khan ilyas.khan at crosby.com
Wed Jan 26 02:14:48 PST 2011

Ken,

You make the key point in my view. I am active (and find tremendously
rewarding) my participation as ³poster² and ³lurker² on a number of other
such venues, and the key difference is that despite much hand wringing on
this listserv, there is an incredible tendency towards clique-ishness, made
all the more provincially dull by the continuation of long standing personal
skirmishes that the vast majority of us do not understand or appreciate.

My own attitude has been, therefore, to focus on two things. Firstly, my own
love of LD means that I usually find nuggets here, but I also have drifted
towards a personal reply instead of a reply to the forum as a whole.
Secondly, when the usual small clique start squabbling or cannot see the
impact of their language on others, I simply ignore them and enjoy the
underlying conversation from which I have learnt so much. At times people
such as James and Charles have tried to bring the conversation back to the
³relevant², but even they, I think, sometimes tire of the same old
repetition.

There is a message in reply to David¹s post that also raises the issue of
how some academics have been teased off this listserv from posting stuff
that is too academic. I agree that if other venues can maintain a vibrant
balance of the scholarly, academic, casual and amateur enthusiast, then so
can we.

On that basis therefore, David, I for one will try to become more active. I
value this little part of my life, and unless we all step upto the plate, we
have only ourselves to blame. Having made my points above, I am hoping I can
become one of the non-scholarly or non-academic participants who has an
opinion and a constructive point of view.

Thanks