[ilds] What has happened to the ilds list

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 18:07:28 PST 2011

Unless I'm mistaken, we're all out celebrating Virginia Woolf's birthday
today rather than posting online...  ;)

> Is it no longer a forum for discussion, since that
> can lead to controversy

Personally, I'm just swimming through the chaos of the start of term.
I'd imagine since there are a large number of academics, that's a
significant factor -- we're relying on you to keep things afloat in the
discussions for a while David!  We're all in the mid-year administrative
slump!

So, to throw down a gauntlet, why Rank and not Groddeck?  And what of
Jung, with whom LD briefly corresponded?  Graham Howe?  He wrote a good
deal on two of them but didn't publish much on Rank, so why not take up
Howe and Groddeck?

Or, perhaps I can stir the pot by going after Bruce's flagrantly dangled
hook & bait:

> Like Chatwin and de Man, Durrell had a few
> things to expunge or expiate.

I might look sideways at Cleanth Brooks from time to time, but Bruce, I
thought you had a good ol' New Criticism vein (or artery) running in
you.  Surely this falls foul of some kind of intentional fallacy or
conversation with dead people.  Barthes might ask about the reader too...

Isn't some of the brilliance of LD's prose, and perhaps most of all the
poetry, the fact that it is gorgeously ambiguous in the sense of Keats'
Negative Capability?  Robert Duncan makes nice work of Durrell's
ambiguous objects in Greek poems like "Carol on Corfu" in his "Ark for
Lawrence Durrell," which strikes me as having a bit of the bite you're
looking for without falling into the myopia of clear vision...  If I
think I've puzzled out what a poet really *meant*, then I second guess
myself and wonder if my certainty is blinding me to the gloriously
ambiguous that doesn't actually have a non-readerly resolution.

I'm also curious why "expiate" rather than "express" or "deal with"?  Is
there a Catholic vein too, my eucharistic friend?

Does that help, David?  {grins}

Best,
James