[ilds] What has happened to the ilds list

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 18:04:05 PST 2011

I agree with David Green.  If the ILDS List is to survive as an open forum it requires both participation and receptivity to all kinds of ideas about Lawrence Durrell and his achievement.  A couple of months ago, Bill Godshalk was exploring Thomas Middleton's Blacke Booke as a source for Durrell's own novel of the same name.  Some members complained privately that such topics were too "academic."  If I understand the circumstances correctly, those complaints ended further discussion on this fascinating subject.  So, scholarly matters were not distributed and abruptly dropped.  This I find both ridiculous and astonishing.  In my view, nothing about L. Durrell is too academic or too personal for discussion.  All kinds of trivia or nitpicking should be examined and discussed, no matter how technical, for the simple reason that there's no telling where they might lead and how important they might become in attaining a full understanding of this major author.  With respect to matters of etiquette, I think it good manners to answer questions directly, within reason, of course.  We're all equal here.  I also think that if one doesn't participate then one shouldn't complain.  That's the responsibility of entering the ring.  I don't see the ILDS List as a spectator sport.  Nor do I see it as a cheering section for Lawrence Durrell's life and work.

Bruce