[ilds] CFP | Space Between conference in Montreal | June 16-18, 2011

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 17:03:56 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I'm passing this along in case anyone is interested.  I attended the
Space Between conference in Portland last year, and it was very fine --
I think they would be receptive to a Durrell panel if anyone is
interested in pitching something as a group.

Best,
James

--------------

The Battle of the Brows: Cultural Distinctions in the Space Between,
1914-1945
McGill University, Montreal, Canada
June 16-18, 2011

With the massive growth in the production and consumption of literature,
music and art in the period 1914-1945 came powerful anxieties about
cultural authority and transmission. As audiences and artists
increasingly came from middle or lower classes, critics tried to
distinguish between the “serious” and the “popular.” Cultural
distinctions that relied, directly or indirectly, on attitudes toward
hierarchies of gender, class, and race came under increasing scrutiny.
It was a time of debate and radical change: new media and materials
(radio, film, jazz, paperback novels) gained ground over traditional
forms and venues (classical music, poetry, theatre); many arts became
professionalized, rather than relying on inherited incomes; institutions
such as the Book of the Month Club and the BBC formed new communities of
cultural consumption.

How does recognition of these social and cultural conflicts impact our
work as scholars of the space between the wars? Conversely, how does our
work impact the vocabularies and values through which we access and
understand the societies and cultures of this time period?

The 13th annual Space Between Society Conference, in cooperation with
the Middlebrow Network, invites proposals that consider questions and
problems related to cultural distinction in the years 1914-1945. Please
send abstracts (no more than 300 words) with a short biographical
statement to spacebetween2011 at gmail.com by 15 January 2011. Possible
topics include:

* Middlebrow culture and the discourses of modernity
* Art in the marketplace
* Cultural capital and cultural minorities
* Documentaries, Hollywood film, art film, the woman’s film
* Theatre, vaudeville, street theatre, group theatre
* Visual culture: photography, painting, advertising
* Music, soundtracks, opera, jazz, musicals
* Kitsch
* Working-class cultures
* Architecture, furniture, and interior design
* Historical crises and cultural responses: militarization,
demobilization, civilian life
* Domesticity and domestic service
* Pleasure, entertainment, and audiences
* International popular cultures
* The avant-garde
* Genres and modes: melodrama, social realism, adventure fiction, spy
thrillers, romances
* Movement across media: film, print, radio, gramophone
* Public radio and broadcasting: BBC, CBC, ABC
* Mass-Observation