[ilds] Ray, Patrick, Bruce and others

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:42:19 PDT 2010

Hi Bruce,

I like quibbles...  The polite jogging of points back & forth such that
a fuller idea of the whole develops.  Not a dispute but a disquisition,
in which we might hope several things dovetail in our minds.

You note that you agree with Richtofen's assessment of Middleton but:

> I question, however, the observation about
> "Durrell's essentially conservative literary
> and historical outlook" re the Elizabethans.

Would that qualify as a quibble of quality?  I suspect it's worth
disputing further -- I think we'd be on the same side here (contra
Richtofen) but likely not in agreement with each other either.

Cheers,
James