[ilds] Ray, Patrick, Bruce and others

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 1 11:46:15 PDT 2010

Bill and Charles,

I'm not one to make fun of family names — you live with what you've got — but Patrick von Richtofen's does cause me to pause and recall "The Red Baron."  Could this mean something?  I won't speculate.  Anyway, I have DL, vol. IV, no. 2 (in red cover, no less), which contains von Richtofen's "Lawrence Durrell, Prince of Denmark."  I see that Charles is much quicker to the draw than I am and has already provided the relevant passages.

Von Richthofen identifies Middleton's Blacke Book as a source for Durrell's Black Book and makes an interesting comment about Lucifer and the preeminent sin of pride — the very first and most important of the Seven Deadlies, the one that subsumes all the others — and its relevance to LD himself.  I think he's right.  Durrell's book reeks of pride, his own, his literary presumptuousness, sin or not.  I question, however, the observation about "Durrell's essentially conservative literary and historical outlook" re the Elizabethans.  My very limited sense of Durrell's love of the Elizabethans is that he admired the openness and wildness of that society — not that 16th century England is a mirror for 20th century English vices.  There I think he's wrong.  I don't see Durrell ever turning his nose at a brothel.  Godshalk and Pine can best weigh in on this subject.

Bruce