[ilds] Seeking the Truth

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 12:19:15 PDT 2010

Hi Bruce,

Were I to make a particular statement the philosophical crux of my work,
I doubt it would be said between snorts into dirty laundry...  There are
other more nuanced articulations of this notion in the Quartet, and I
think the formal structure of the work itself is the most important.

But, I do contest your definition of "investigation."  Tell me, in the
sentence "an investigation of modern love" (which we know underwent
significant revisions due to editorial pressure outside of the author),
how "real" is "modern love" in the real world?  What, pray tell, is
"love" in a quantified sense in the "real world" of measurable objects,
particles, and physical laws.  Moreover, what does "modern" mean as an
adjective to the material object "love"?  Or do you think
"investigation" may have a slightly different sense here than in "an
investigation into a crime" or "an investigation of how gravity
influences a ball"?

Alternatively, doesn't it seem obvious that this is a fictional novel
discussing social realities?  Are not social realities essentially
imaginary?  Are love, memories, marriage, deceit, or racism "real" or
"true" in the same way that a rock is?  I'm afraid I don't see the use
in collapsing the multivalence.

So, let's go back to one of your examples: "And Pursewarden on another
occasion, but not less memorably: 'If things were always what they
seemed, how impoverished would be the imagination of man'" (/AQ/ 216).
I'd be inclined to note how "imagination" appears to be an intrinsic
part of "seemed" here.  Madam, I know not seems...  Just as Hamlet tells
us he is not capable of seeming to be something he is not, we the
audience know this to be untrue -- Hamlet constantly "seems."  Moreover,
much likehis mother's inability to see his father's ghost, she sees him
not, yet all there is she sees.  She must claim to see all that there is
in order to state that he is not there -- otherwise, she'd admit to the
possibility that people can see different things.  Hamlet likewise
collapses the existence of different phenomenal worlds when he says he
cannot "seem" to other people, when in fact he cannot occupy their
position to see himself...  For Durrell, "things" (likely of the class
we would use to lump together love, faith, deceit, trust and other
social "things") are like Hamlet -- they "seem" without always giving
away their reality.  As social "things," the act of "seeming" is likely
the only part that actually exists.  Hence, "the imagination of man" is
a crucial component.  Because we cannot say "all there is I see," we
must fill in the gaps with our imagination, especially when we follow
the iron chains of memory -- the city is half-imagined yet wholly
"real," and that real has a lot more to do with T.S. Eliot's "Unreal
city" than it does with "real" in the sense of a rock.  It's a social
reality in which half of it is imagined and the other half "seeming,"
and that's our social form of reality...

Does that split the hair a bit?  I'd rather breath through the eye of
the needle for a second than try to put that split hair through it...

Best,
James