[ilds] Seeking the Truth

Richard Pine rpinecorfu at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 01:01:21 PDT 2010

Brian Friel gives us the following:

He recalls a time when he was 9 years old when he went fishing with his father.
'There's no doubt in my mind about this - it's here now before my eyes, as I
speak... That's the memory. That's what happened.'

But he then realises that he and his father could never have walked along the
shore of the lake on that day BECAUSE THERE WAS NO LAKE.

'The fact is a fiction. Have I imagined the scene then? Or is it a composite of
two or three different episodes? The point is -  I don't think it matters. What
matters is that for some reason this vivid memory is there in the storehouse of
the mind. For some reason the mind has shuffled the pieces of verifiable truth
and composed a truth of its own. For me it is a truth. And because I acknowledge
its particular veracity, it becomes a layer of my subsoil; it becomes part of
me.'