[ilds] The Truth

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 25 16:54:10 PDT 2010

"But what is truth? Is truth a changing law? We both have truths, a mine the same as yours?"

Pontius Pilate to Jesus in Jesus Christ Super Star

"In God's name what is the Truth? that Millions are dead and more will die because Spain makes war on the catholic king of France who makes war on catholic Germany, all helped by protestants, by a hundred other kings, princes and bishops, all for their own rotten purposes.."

Vogel in James Clavell's The Last Valley

" the truth is your leaders are bigots, your generals are bandits and the pope plays politics!"

The Captain in James Clavell's The Last Valley.

"the Truth may be pure, but is is rarely simple"

Oscar Wilde

Surely the AQ with its four views of the same apparent reality, questions the very nature of reality (truth) itself. Durrell saw the dream world, the so called real world and the world of fiction as very much blurred and said so in interviews. Beyond objective reality - that, on Earth, a stone falls to ground when dropped - the rest is construction, invention. The Duke of Wellington said that the true history of the Battle of Waterloo could never be written because each participant only remembers his own part in it - just as each reader experiences a novel or poem differently .... is truth that important???

It is said that Gideon in Reflections on a Marine Venus was a Durrell construction - but real to me and one of my favourite LD characters.

David Whitewine

16 William Street
Marrickville NSW 2204
+ 61 2 9564 6`65