[ilds] Seeking the Truth

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 13:06:10 PDT 2010

> And Durrell's form undercuts itself, calling our attention to its
> ironies, cutting the ground out from under the reader too willing to
> impose an assertion.

There's a lovely moment in Henry Miller's /Colossus of Maroussi/ that
engaging in something like this, something that Durrell used a good
deal.  He enters a dark cavern and then emerges, but the actual scene is
a gap -- it's just a chunk of empty space on the page between the
paragraphs.  Nonetheless, intrepid readers, including scholars, have
filled that blank space with a number of descriptions.  We readers are
demonstrably willing to "impose an assertion," especially if the writer
has imposed and aporia...

> If you want to find "meaning" in Durrell's work, try
> looking for moments in which his chosen form and style
> seem to mirror or contradict something stated or
> dramatized in the novel, in the poem, &c.

I wish I'd said that first...

Best,