[ilds] Seeking the Truth

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 12:54:46 PDT 2010

Why not check out his notes for those talks.  They're in Carbondale, and
he does comment on subatomic particles...

I believe the form of "knowing" Charles is after is based on that many,
many things we know are not strictly speaking "true" but that offer us
useful ways of thinking or of behaving.  I may be a social
constructivist, but I still "know" things within that social context
(it's nice to share, good people don't murder, etc.), even though I know
none of those various truths have anything to do with "truth" in the way
that an electron's location can be known "truly."

Put another way, there are a variety of ways of "knowing" that plural
body of things we call "knowledge," and most of both are subject to
skepticism or at least potential revision based on new pieces of
"knowledge" we might gather via the processes we collectively call
"knowing."

-J