[ilds] Seeking the Truth

William Apt billyapt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 10:09:01 PDT 2010

Bruce:

I guess the best analogy is found typically in criminal trials. For example,
witnesses truly believe they saw things they later are surprised to learn
they did not see:  hence the relativity of truth, which supports LD's
thesis.  But that does not apply uniformly in life generally. Truth usually
can be determined objectively and conclusively in most matters:  there are
just times, however, when we think we know truth, based on our relative
viewpoints.  Although LD seemed to posit it as a firm principle, his notion
of truth cannot exist in every situation.  To say that it does would be, as
you say, poetic nonsense.  I believe, rather, that LD's notion is a valid
concept applicable under given circumstances, and  do not believe someone
like Judt could argue with that.  I also don't think that LD believed that
truth was *always* relative or illusory.  If he did, then he wouldn't have
taken umbrage with critics who disparaged his work. Would not their relative
viewpoints be as based in "truth" as his own?

BILLY

WILLIAM APT
Attorney at Law
7004 Bee Cave Rd, Bldg 1,