[ilds] Buttons?

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 18:04:56 PDT 2010

Hi Bruce,

I mean Iolanthe from /Tunc/ and /Nunquam/, which casts the Melissa
character as a film star who escapes the psychotic attachments of the
man who would have her as his doll -- she ultimately dies and the doll
is make, but the doll (then called Io / "I") is the only character who
actually revolts.  Iolanthe is the Aphrodite who revolts, and the
masculine attention to her as a "doll" (robot) is clearly a psychosis in
the context of the book that critiques a patriarchal society.  The poor
treatment of the women by the misogynist male characters functions, I
would contend, as a symptom of the culture at large and that Durrell
critiques.

To that point, the first novels don't contain dolls -- anything but.
Ruth is the more powerful character in /Pied Piper of Lovers/ (women
seem to have a magical presence there), and Francis in /Panic Spring/ is
clearly meant to elicit our sympathy when she encounters men who would
have her fulfill a doll-like function.

Rather than seeing the doll in /CVG/ or /Justine/ as a symptom of
Durrell's misogyny, I'd see it as his critique, though I think the
criticism you put forward (that he struggled with those same prejudices
himself) is correct.

As for the life being lived by the Other / Id / It / desire, and so
forth, I think that's precisely the reason Durrell translated Cavafy as
he did, and also why he was attached to that poem.  I also read the
epigraphs from Freud and Sade in that vein.  Freud suggests "talk" in
response to the problem of desire or libidinal compulsion -- Sade
suggests ditching the talking self for rule by the libido.  One leads to
a cure (Darley is after all writing the book to expiate his illnesses
via "talk") and the other leads to the noose.  As Cavafy would have it,
"the city is a cage" and it's also the same noose, it's the Groddeckian
IT that lives through the subject.  Darley's struggle is to a large
degree negotiating a way for the self to speak, and in doing so, to
rescue subjectivity from desire, which Sedgwick nicely phrases as
"desire proves to be a powerful solvent to stable subjectivities."

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
James