[ilds] Durrell Bibliographical Query

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Wed Sep 15 17:58:09 PDT 2010

  On 9/15/10 7:29 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
> Yes.  The correct phrases read:
>
> 1.  with a writer of quite unusual distinction.
>
> 2.  it embodies "memories of this pure sunlight,"
>
> 3.  "in idle friendship and humour"

Thanks, Bruce.

Are those from a /Justine/ Faber 1.2?  What is your source?

I am recalling Mr. Wythe's query:

>         I am the founder of the ReproJackets project to create a
>         repository of digitally-restored dustjackets of collectible
>         books (www.reprojackets.com <http://www.reprojackets.com/>)
>         and am in the process of restoring that of the UK 1^st edition
>         of */Justine/* (2^nd impression).

That is to say, if Mr. Wythe's intention is "fidelity" in facsimile, the
source of the text matters.  As you can imagine, variants occur
throughout jacket issues.

On the one hand, what matters here is not fidelity to Harold Nicolson's
words but rather an accurate transcription of the Faber /Justine/ 1.2
jacket, with all of its lovely particularities and peculiarities.

On the other hand, the rationale and the method for the facsimile
project seem rife with problems.  Why not obtain a more intact example
form which to scan a facsimile?  What will Mr. Wythe be doing to patch
up the holes in his jacket -- inserting his own text into a scan of the
jacket?  Oh dear.

This is not to say that there will not be some sort of market for Mr.
Wythe's work. If the things are affordable, one could do worse for wall
decoration.

Anyone attending book fairs in London will have anecdotes about how some
Faber jackets fetch higher prices than the books to which they were
originally wed.

I appreciate the fact that attention is finally being given to some the
best Design Art of the 20th century.  The Faber house style from the
1950s and 1960s is on par with the Blue Note record label house style
during the comparable years.   But respect for such "ephemera" has been
a long time coming.

>         The British Library is committed to collecting every British
>         publication, but from the 1920s until 1955 library staff
>         removed all dust jackets from newly-acquired books. A
>         selection of these dust jackets, mainly chosen from those
>         bearing illustrations or designs of interest, was kept
>         separately from the books from which they were taken. These
>         dust jackets are held by the V&A on loan where they can be
>         viewed by appointment
>         <http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/prints_books/features/Dust%20Jackets/index.html#viewing_dust_jackets>
>         in the Blythe House Reading Room.
>
>         From 1956 to 1991 the British Library removed and retained all
>         British dust jackets as well as some from foreign language
>         volumes. A selection of these is held by the V&A, a
>         collection that  totals more than 11,000 items. Whilst the
>         majority of these are taken from British publications, dust
>         jackets from a variety of countries can be found in the
>         collection, including Europe, the USA, Australia, New Zealand,
>         South America, India, Japan and Russia.

        British Library Dust Jackets at the V&A
        http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/prints_books/features/Dust%20Jackets/index.html

        BRITISH LIBRARY DUST JACKETS AT THE V&A