[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 42, Issue 8_the blue really begins in the Aegean

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 14 00:43:24 PDT 2010

Amen Bruce. LGD may have imbibed eastern ideas and read Buddhist philosophy,
but he was definitely a western style individualist - writing allowed him to
live as a non conformist eccentric person in a way that he could not in
other jobs. Durrell does not subsume his ego. He manifested it. Alcohol may
have been part of it. I came across this -

"Gilman Ostrander explains that:  'alcoholism is basically a disease of
individualism. if afflicts people who from early childhood develop a strong
sense of being psychologically alone and on their own in the world. this
solitary outlook prevents them from gaining emotional release through
associations with other people, but they find they can get this release
through drinking. ...the Encyclopedia Britannica points to 'inconsistency in
rearing practices' as a major factor, and suggests that the potential
alcoholic would begin to demonstrate 'defiant exhibitionistic deviance' from
an early age.

Marc, this does not mean I don't like the guy or admire his work

David