[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 42, Issue 8_the blue really begins in the Aegean

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 14 00:07:05 PDT 2010

Marc,

I absolutely agree. That is why we connect with him. Sometimes, when you
read him, Larry is so close you can smell the wine on his breath; a gift
indeed. My point was to pick up on Grove's idea of internal versus external.
In South Wind Norman Douglas steers the ship but he does not appear on deck.
Durrell is always on deck, especially in his island books, even if not al
his characters are quite real. He certainly is which is what I meant - not
as an attack but as an observation.

David Whitewine