[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 42, Issue 8_the blue really begins in the Aegean

gkoger at mindspring.com gkoger at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 11 09:01:13 PDT 2010

The speech appears in chapter 13 of South Wind. It's the Count, and he's repeating  advice from an "old teacher":

"'He said: delve deeply; not too deeply into the past, for it may make you derivative; nor yet into yourself--it will make you introspective. Delve into the living world and strive to bind yourself to its movement by a chain of your own welding. Once that contact is established, you are unassailable. Externalize yourself!'"

"Externalize yourself" may well have been Douglas's lifelong philosophy. One could do worse . . .

Grove